5. Becoming a class rep
Class reps help build a sense of community among the class parents and help provide the link between the parents and Friends of Harpenden Academy (FOHA) - our equivalent of a Parent Teacher Association). Like every parent, class reps are invited to the monthly FOHA meetings to gain a broader understanding of what the Friends do for the school.
With lots of busy parents – we recommend sharing the role with 1 or more parents.
The Role in a Nutshell
- Organising Class Social Events for Parents
- Class coffee mornings and parents’ evenings are always good fun and the most effective way of helping parents get to know each other and generating a good team spirit in your class
- School Events
- FOHA hold a variety of fundraising and social events throughout the school year. Class Reps are asked to encourage attendance and rally volunteers. For larger events (our Easter Egg Hunt and the post Sports Day Celebration) it works best if each class is allocated a stall/task and Class Reps are responsible for coordinating the preparation, rota and clearing up
- Some of our existing class reps send out weekly announcements via Classlist reminding class parents of upcoming class events/deadlines etc. They will often manage requests from the teachers such as bringing in extras for junk modelling or a themed week at school
- Teacher's Presents
- If your class decides it wants to give the Teacher and the Teaching Assistant a Christmas or end of year present, the Class Reps will organise this. Class Reps also generally coordinate a card or similar for the teachers with messages from the children at Christmas and the end of year
- Next Year's Reps
- Towards the end of the year, please find at least one lovely volunteer to rep for next year!